Career Development Association of New Zealand



Please note that CDANZ members will be voting on a variation to CDANZ Entry Level Qualifications and Member Pathways on 2 March 2021. We will not be accepting any new applications for membership between 15 February and 15 April 2021. If you wish to apply under the current membership criteria please ensure your application is in by 15 February. Note that if you are already a CDANZ member and plan to change your membership type we will support you through the transition. Please get in touch asap. These FAQs refer to the current requirements. 

What's the difference between Professional and Associate level Membership?

Professional membership is 'full' membership for experienced practitioners who hold a qualification and/or experience at the required level and who wish to be recognised at this level of expertise. Associate membership is for those who are currently completing a careers related qualification or who are not yet sufficiently experienced to be eligible at the Professional level.

What are the benefits of becoming a Professional or Associate level member?

Apart from the recognition of belonging to a professional body, you will be able to participate in professional development activities by attendance at Branch meetings, Conferences and National Executive sponsored professional development days. You will have access to the Australian Journal of Career Development, the Canadian Journal of Career Development as well as other career-related resources. You will also have the opportunity to network with other career practitioners.

What can I do if I do not have a CDANZ Professional member as a referee?

The best way to get to know CDANZ members is to attend Branch meetings. These are open to guests and visitors, usually at a small charge. If you are a career practitioner who has belonged to an association overseas and you are new to New Zealand, we will accept a reference from a Professional member of your previous association.

How long does it take for my membership application to be accepted?

If the application form is completed correctly and we have received your references, we will usually confirm your membership shortly after the membership meeting it was considered at. (Membership meetings are held monthly). However, if some of the information is missing, if we have not received references, or if there are queries on the information you have given us, it will depend on how quickly we can resolve the queries with you.

What happens after I become a member?

You will receive email confirmation and Professional and Associate members will also receive their Membership Certificate. If a Professional member, you will then be entitled to use the letters PMCDANZ after your name. You should also receive contact from your Branch Chairperson welcoming you to the Association and inviting you to future Branch meetings.

How do I put my membership on hold if I am not going to be practising for a while or if I am going to be out of New Zealand for a period of time?

If you are a current member you may put your membership on hold for a period of up to twelve months, provided you advise us beforehand of your situation. You can reactivate your membership at any time during that twelve months. If we do not hear from you after the year we will presume that you do not wish to reactivate and your membership will lapse. When you take your membership off hold, you need to resume your normal membership obligations (i.e. current PD Annual Record and annual renewal fee).

How do I reapply for membership if I have previously been a Professional (or Associate) member of CDANZ?

As a Professional (or Associate) member whose membership has lapsed for a period of 5 years or less, you may resume your membership by paying the annual membership fee and showing that you have fulfilled and submitted the PD Annual Record. If your Proof of Eligibility under the 2008 criteria has not been established, and application for re-established membership is instigated after 2013, applications would need to meet the 2008 criteria before professional membership is re-established.

What skills and training are required to become a Career Practitioner?

You will find this information by going to the Career Services website:

What career specific qualifications are available in New Zealand?

There are currently a number of qualifications available in New Zealand that meet CDANZ membership criteria. Read more...